The Tepper School of Business’ online MS in Business Analytics provides students with robust coursework in machine learning and other advanced analytics skills in a business context, ensuring that students graduate knowing how to efficiently, effectively and creatively apply their analytics expertise to business challenges. This is a fast-paced, rigorous program — applicants should be willing to put in the effort required to become highly proficient problem-solvers.
Upcoming Start Date
If you have any questions or concerns about the application deadline, please contact an admissions counselor.
Application Submission and Review Schedule
The admissions committee reviews completed applications during rounds prior to the start date.
For the upcoming Fall 2023 cohort, the relevant dates are:
|Review Round||Submission Deadline||Decision Notification||First Deposit & Re Vera Release|
|Round 1||October 30, 2022||December 15, 2022||January 15, 2023|
|Round 2||January 29, 2023||March 16, 2023||April 16, 2023|
|Round 3||March 26, 2023||May 11, 2023||June 11, 2023|
|Round 4||May 7, 2023||June 8, 2023||June 25, 2023|
|Rolling||May 15, 2023–June 30, 2023||May 15, 2023–June 30, 2023||1 week after decision notification|
If you have any questions/concerns about the application deadline, please contact an admissions counselor.
Once complete, your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee and the admission decision will be sent to you on the Decision Notification date associated with the Round in which you applied.
Interviews will be conducted by invitation from the Admissions Committee.
We encourage students to submit their applications well before the deadline if possible.
Students are required to hold a four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent from an accredited institution. They should be able to understand technical concepts and be competent in the following areas:
- General mathematics including calculus and linear algebra
- Basic statistical concepts and methods
- Basic programming in any modern language
Though our standards are high and our admissions process is competitive, it is also holistic. We consider all aspects of an applicant’s background and experience.
The online MSBA admits international applicants who reside within, or outside of, the domestic United States. Please note that we are unable to admit students who are residents of U.S. sanctioned countries.
Please note that classes will be taught on a U.S. Eastern Time schedule and students must be available to attend, regardless of location.
English language proficiency tests may apply for non-native speakers. See requirements below.
MSBA candidates must submit these materials:
- Completed online application form
- Unofficial transcripts of all academic work
- Official GMAT or GRE score report
- Candidates who demonstrate mathematical aptitude from previous coursework may be eligible for a GMAT/GRE waiver. Learn more about applying without a GMAT/GRE test score.
- Current resume including the month and year each position was held. Submitted resumes should not exceed two pages in length.
- Required essay
- Video essay
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo scores if English was not sole language of instruction where undergraduate degree was earned
- Application fee: $125
- NOTE: Earn an application fee waiver by scheduling time with your admissions counselor or attending an event, such as a webinar.
Transcript Submission Details
All candidates are required to upload legible, scanned copies of their unofficial transcripts and degree certificates. All unofficial transcripts submitted for admissions consideration should include the following:
- All copies of actual university transcripts, usually with watermark or seal
- Web transcripts are not acceptable.
- Degree name, e.g., Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts
- Degree conferral date for all degrees
- Grading scale for each university. This can often be found on the back of the transcript; otherwise please contact the university to obtain this information.
- If applicable, non-native students can upload a copy of their degree certificate if degree names and conferral dates are not already listed on the transcript.
- If applicable, non-native students should upload the transcript in the original language and an official translation copy if it is not in English.
If submitted transcripts are missing any of the required information, candidates will be contacted to send missing items, which will delay the application process.
Upon acceptance into the program, candidates will be required to submit official transcripts to the Tepper Admissions Office from each degree-granting college or university attended, at both the graduate and undergraduate level. Transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope or via an e-Script system directly from the institution. Mailing instructions will be provided upon admission.
Official GMAT or GRE Scores
MSBA candidates must request that official GMAT or GRE scores be sent directly from the testing agency to the Tepper School of Business. The GRE Program Code for Carnegie Mellon Tepper School of Business is 4883. The GMAT Program Codes are: MS in Business Analytics: 69H-XH-43.
Applicants who can demonstrate evidence of advanced mathematical ability through previous coursework are eligible to submit an application for consideration without submitting a GMAT/GRE test score. Please follow the instructions for applying with a waiver.
Length and formatting requirements: 12-point standard font, double-spaced
Candidates who want the admissions committee to consider information that they feel is inadequately covered elsewhere in the application are welcome to submit an optional essay in addition to the required essay. This may include additional personal or professional information, unexplained resume gaps, context for a re-applicant, etc. Requirements: 350-word maximum, 12-point font, double-spaced
Video Essay – NEW
Starting in the Fall 2023 application cycle, all applicants must submit a video essay.
In the video essay, we ask you to answer the following question: What are your post-MSBA career goals?
We know your objectives are an important component of your decision to earn a graduate degree in business analytics. We take them seriously as well. That’s why we would like you to describe your long-term professional plans and how you envision an MSBA from Tepper supporting your goals.
This video adds more dimension to your application. It can also give us a sense of what opportunities interest you, so that we can better connect you with career resources if you join us as a student.
Consider the following while crafting your response:
- Your video response should be no longer than two minutes.
- The video should exhibit a professional tone while allowing your personality to shine. It does not need feature film-quality production values, but we should be able to hear and see you clearly.
- Please be as specific as possible. Tell us what interests you about your intended next role or career move. What about the industry, company, or functional role is appealing to you? Provide examples if possible.
- You do not need to name an exact company or job title, but you should provide a distinct description of your long-term professional plans.
- TOEFL Program Code: Institution Code: 2074; Departmental Code: 02
- IELTS Program Code: Select Carnegie Mellon and the Tepper School of Business
- Duolingo: Search ‘Carnegie Mellon – Tepper School Graduate Programs’ and select to send scores
Letters of Recommendation
The Tepper School prefers that both letters come from individuals who know the applicant in a professional capacity, but we will accept one academic recommendation combined with one professional recommendation.
After candidates submit their completed application, the admissions committee invites all qualified applicants to interview with a select group of Tepper School staff members. Interviews take place via Web conferencing software and last about 30 minutes. The qualified applicants receive a link, enabling them to schedule this interview.
In addition to meeting all other MSBA admissions requirements, MSBA candidates are required to take a TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test if they attended an undergraduate institution, earning a bachelor’s degree where the sole language of instruction was not English. TOEFL scores are valid for five years, IELTS scores are valid for two years, and Duolingo English Test scores are valid for two years. Score reports must be valid at the time of application submission.
Candidates are eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo exam waiver if the unofficial transcripts state that the sole language of instruction at the degree-earned institution was English. If this information is not included in the candidate’s academic documents, candidates can upload an official letter from the University Registrar indicating English was the mode of instruction for the entirety of the degree.
Candidates must request that the official score be sent from the testing agency directly to the Tepper School of Business. Please use the following codes when requesting the official score:
Applicants who earned their graduate degree from an institution where the sole language of instruction was not English, are not required to submit TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo scores, but we recommend that they take an English language proficiency exam.
Note to All Applicants
To safeguard the integrity of the admissions process, Carnegie Mellon University routinely uses a third-party company to verify credentials for all admitted candidates. Details are provided upon admission.
To learn more about the Tepper School’s online Master of Science in Business Analytics, fill out the fields below to download a free brochure. If you have additional questions, please call 888-876-8959 or 412-238-1101 to speak with an admissions counselor.